A fire sprinkler prevented a fire from spreading in a Bend apartment complex over the weekend.
A commercial fire alarm drew Bend Fire & Rescue crews to The Reserves at Pilot Butte at around 9:30 p.m. Saturday evening.
They found a fire alarm still blaring and water coming from one of the attached garages at the back of the apartment complex.
A single fire sprinkler stopped the fire from spreading to the 22 apartments in the building, but not before it did minor damage to some occupants’ belongings and the structure.
Two engines, a ladder truck, a medic and a battalion chief were used to stop the flames.
The fire department believes it was started by unattended incense or a candle left on table too close to cardboard and craft supplies.
Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to never leave candles, incense or similar burning items unattended.
Candles are one of the top 5 most common type of fire in homes nationally.
They remind locals to be sure to keep candles and incense at least a foot away from anything combustible and always blow out the flame before leaving the room or going to bed.