(Editor’s note: A photo of one of the bull elks mentioned in this case is at the bottom of the story. It may be disturbing for some.)
Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife is looking for two people and a vehicle as it investigates a poaching case involving two bull elks near Tumalo in Deschutes County.
OSP said a vehicle that appeared to be a red pickup was spotted by a witness on September 26 parked at the intersection of Highway 20 and Innes Market between 5:00 a.m. and 6:10 a.m.
At 6:10 a.m., a male and female were seen leaving private property near the intersection of Highway 20 and Tweed Road west of Tumalo. OSP said the two people did not have permission to be on the property and were seen packing out the head and antlers of a bull elk to the pickup.
OSP said its investigation said the two people and “processed” a bull elk of unknown size on the property.
A second bull elk was found dead within an “agricultural pivot” on the property.
OSP said it appears archery equipment was used to harvest the elks. Archery season had ended one day earlier.
No hunters had permission to hunt on the property, OSP said.
OSP Fish & Wildlife Division is asking anyone with information about this case to call the Oregon State Police Tip-line at 1-800-452-7888, *OSP (*677), or email at TIP@osp.oregon.gov. Reference case number SP2225969.
Reference case number SP22256433.
Oregon’s Turn In Poachers (TIP) program offers preference points or cash rewards for information leading toward a conclusion in the investigation of the illegal killing of wildlife and waste of big game.
PREFERENCE POINT REWARDS:
- 5 Points-Mountain Sheep
- 5 Points-Rocky Mountain Goat
- 5 Points-Moose
- 5 Points-Wolf
- 4 Points-Elk
- 4 Points-Deer
- 4 Points-Antelope
- 4 Points-Bear
- 4 Points-Cougar
Oregon Hunters Association (OHA) Cash Rewards:
- $1,000 Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Moose
- $500 Elk, Deer, and Antelope
- $300 Bear, Cougar, and Wolf
- $300 Habitat Destruction
- $200 – Illegally obtaining Oregon hunting or angling license or tags
- $200 – Unlawful Lending/Borrowing Big Game Tag(s)
- $100 Upland Birds and Waterfowl
- $100 Game Birds or Furbearers
- $100 Game Fish and Shellfish
Oregon Wildlife Coalition (OWC) Cash Rewards:
- $500 Hawk, Falcon, Eagle, Owl, Osprey
- All other protected avian species: see category below for listed species
- $500 Cougar, Bobcat, Beaver (public lands only), Black bears, Bighorn Sheep, Marten, Fisher, Sierra Nevada Red Fox
Species listed as “threatened” or “endangered” under state or federal Endangered Species Act (excludes fish)
- $1,000 (e.g. wolf, wolverine, kit fox, red tree vole, Canada lynx, sea otter, Columbian white-tailed deer, California brown pelican, western snowy plover, California least tern, northern spotted owl, marbled murrelet, short-tailed albatross, streaked horned lark, yellow-billed cuckoo, leatherback sea turtle, olive ridley sea turtle, Oregon spotted frog, green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle)