BendNew dishwasher fails, sparks fire at NE Bend home

New dishwasher fails, sparks fire at NE Bend home

New dishwasher fails, sparks fire at NE Bend home

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) — A northeast Bend resident fled her home Wednesday afternoon when a new dishwasher failed and caught fire for a reason fire officials could not determine.

Bend Fire & Rescue crews responded shortly before 2 p.m. to the reported fire at a home in the 21000 block of NE Pelican Drive, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.

The owner was home and just after starting the dishwasher noted smoke coming from the back of it, Derlacki said. As she attempted to shut off the power to kitchen and call 911, flames became visible and she evacuated.

The house was found to be full of smoke and flames visible in the kitchen as crews arrived. The first fire crew to arrive were two firefighter-paramedics on an ambulance returning from the hospital. They were able to use a dry-chemical fire extinguisher to stop the spread of the fire until other fire crews arrived shortly after. 

The cause of the fire appears to be a failure of the brand new dishwasher, Derlacki said, adding that it’s unclear if this was due to an installation issue or a malfunction of the appliance.

The American Red Cross is providing a hotel for the adult and two children who live there for a few nights while the smoke and soot is cleaned up. Smoke and soot from fires can be dangerous to inhale up to days after a fire, Derlacki said.

Damage to the home and its contents were estimated at $15,000. 

Appliance fires can happen in new and old equipment, the fire official said, offering up some ways to help prevent these types of fires:

  • Ensure all appliances are installed, maintained and serviced by a qualified professional and follow all manufacture guidelines. 
  • Keep potentially flammable items, such as furniture, clothes, or curtains, away from heaters or appliances that produce heat.
  • If an appliance or lamp sputters, produces a spark, or gives you a shock when running, have it repaired as soon as possible.
  • Check the wires of appliances regularly. Replace or repair frayed, damaged cables.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions manual that includes safety notices and usage tips.
  • Check the manufacturer’s website for updates on safety information about your unit.
  • Register your unit on the manufacturer’s website so that you receive notifications if the product is recalled.

The post New dishwasher fails, sparks fire at NE Bend home appeared first on KTVZ.

KTVZ.com
KTVZ.comhttps://ktvz.com/
Central Oregon's news leader since 1977.

Subscribe Today

GET EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO CONTENT

SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISM

NEWS FROM 30+ MEDIA SOURCES

250,000+ LOYAL READERS EACH YEAR

Get unlimited access to our news content and our archive of Central Oregon stories.

Top Stories

More Articles