The need for blood and platelets has become so desperate this summer, the American Red Cross is making people an offer: Come donate and you could win free gas for a year.
The Red Cross, citing a “concerning drop” in donations this summer, says donors are needed to make an appointment in August to help prevent a blood shortage.
The blood supply has dropped 20% in recent weeks, the Red Cross said.
“This is a concerning trend that may soon make it tougher to keep blood products stocked on hospital shelves,” Paul Sullivan, Red Cross senior vice president of donor services, said in a statement. “By choosing a time to give now, donors can help pump up the blood supply for those in immediate need of lifesaving care and those who rely on transfusions for treatment.”
The most-needed blood type is O-negative blood. That’s the most common blood type used for transfusions when the blood type of the patient is unknown.
Everyone who comes in to a Red Cross facility to donate during the month of August will be automatically entered for a chance to win gas for a year — which the Red Cross says is a $6,000 value. Three people will win.
Everyone who comes in to donate will also get a $10 e-gift card from what the Red Cross says is a merchant of their choice.
Appointments can be scheduled by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, by visiting RedCrossBlood.org or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Here are some upcoming blood donation drives for August, including a couple in Central Oregon.
- Burgerville, 909 SW 1st Ave, Canby, OR, 11:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Talent Community Center, 104 E Main St, Talent, OR, 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Meals on Wheels, 7710 SW 31st Ave, Portland, OR, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Tidewater Cove Condos, 1000 SE Tidewater Place, Vancouver, WA, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Medford Blood Donation Center, 1174 Progress Drive Suite 102, Medford, OR, 11:00 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Lake Oswego City Hall, 380 A Ave, Lake Oswego, OR, 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- BBR Administration Building, 13895 Bishops Cap, Black Butte Ranch, OR, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Beaverton Hoop YMCA, 9685 SW Harvest Court, Beaverton, OR, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Valley River Inn, 1000 Valley River Way, Eugene, OR, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Bend Factory Stores, 61334 S Hwy 97, Suite 180, Bend, OR, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.