A large dog died in a motorhome fire in southeast Bend early Wednesday morning.
Bend Fire and Rescue said drivers passing by called to report the fire on Stevens Road just east of SE 27th Street in Bend at about 3:37 a.m. Firefighters found the motorhome completely involved in flames.
Firefighters quickly stopped the fire and prevented it from spreading to power poles and brush, Bend Fire said. Nobody was found around the RV initially.
RELATED: Hear the pops from Bend garage fire that spread to 2 homes
RELATED: Oregon investing $2.7 million in wildfire risk reduction projects
Bend Police were called after biological remains were found in the motorhome. Later, when the person living in the motorhome returned, it was determined the remains were that of the occupant’s dog.
Bend Fire says it appears a propane heater was left unattended. It’s not clear if it malfunctioned or if there was something combustible left too close to the heater.
The motorhome and contents are a total loss, estimated at $4,000.