Bend▶️ Bend house fire Friday caused by something you may not have...

▶️ Bend house fire Friday caused by something you may not have thought about

▶️ Bend house fire Friday caused by something you may not have thought about

Bend House fire June 17, 2022

Nobody was hurt Friday morning after a house fire in Bend. Firefighters say oily rags that weren’t properly disposed of caused the fire.

Firefighters arrived at the single-story home on NE Bobbie Court, north of Al Moody Park, to find the outside of the home on fire. Flames were spreading to the attic.

The family of three was awakened by smoke alarms and was able to safely get out of the house.

Bend Fire and Rescue said firefighters were able to put it out quickly. Damage was limited to the garage and attic. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

Investigators determined the fire started due to oily rags that were not properly disposed of after the deck was stained Thursday night. 

“Spontaneous combustion of oily rags occurs when rag or cloth is slowly heated to its ignition point through oxidation. This is an accidental fire but this type of fire can be prevented,” the department said.

SEE ALSO: Before fire season is the time to build defensible space around your home

Bend Fire and Rescue says that if you’re using natural stain or oils to treat decks or other wood projects, dispose of the cloth in a container with a tight-fitting lid. A metal can is preferable, but a plastic container or a zip lock bag can work in a pinch.

Put the rags inside the container and fill the rest of it all the way up with water. Seal the top and do not open it.

This will prevent oils from oxidizing and keep the rags from heating up and igniting.

Bend Fire and Rescue has more year-round safety tips on its website.

CentralOregonDaily.com
CentralOregonDaily.comhttps://centraloregondaily.com/
Central Oregon Daily is Television in Central Oregon … on-air, on-line & on-the-go. We are KOHD – Central Oregon’s ABC, KBNZ – CBS for Central Oregon, and local programming on Central Oregon Daily, COTV and CO4 Visitors Network. We are storytellers of all that matters to Central Oregonians.

Subscribe Today

GET EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO CONTENT

SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISM

NEWS FROM 30+ MEDIA SOURCES

250,000+ LOYAL READERS EACH YEAR

Get unlimited access to our news content and our archive of Central Oregon stories.

Top Stories

More Articles